Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Six Mile Hike

Monday, May 20, 2013

Today we're hunkered down in the Blackwoods Campground in Acadia National Park, as the rain pours down and the fir trees drip. Our skylight is keeping it bright enough that we don't need to turn on the lights. This is helpful because we're dry camping with no hookups. Most of the National Parks don't seem to have hookups, so we see more tents and fewer RVs. Because of the trees, we've needed to run the generator for a while each evening to recharge the coach batteries. Normally the solar panels generate enough power for us to not need to run the generator. We'll stay inside today and then leave here tomorrow morning.


Yesterday, Sunday, the weather was beautiful! The temperature was in the upper 50's with a slight wind, but sunny. Greg biked the Loop Road from the campground again. After lunch we drove to the Fabri parking area, parked and hiked along the coastal trail to Sand Beach. Then we climbed up Great Head and circled around the top of that before we climbed down again. And I mean climbed! We scrambled up and down rock faces. Not hand and toehold type climbing, but real climbing. With my new hiking boots, (they rock! And rock climb!), I felt confident to push myself a bit. I have never done that kind of climbing and was very proud of myself, a little sore today, but in a good way.


The views were fabulous! I posted some of the many photos I took. In total we hiked and climbed 6 miles. That was a good milestone for me. Now I can gauge better what I can handle in the future. We had hoped to do another hike today, but it looks like rain all day today, so a hike will have to wait until we move on closer to the border. We are thinking of heading to Campobello Island which is an international park and was FDR's summer home. There is a New Brunswick Provincial Park with camping on the island. Stay tuned. Last stop before Canada!


View from the Coastal Trail

Sand Beach


The Beehive behind Sand Beach


View from Great Head





Steeper than it looks!

Cruise ship leaving Bar Harbor


View from the Coastal Trail





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments encourage me to keep posting!