Monday, December 14, 2015

Amazon Update! Life In the Fast Lane!

Monday, December 14, 2015

Last week is finished! We dug deeper into the whole Amazon experience and are ready to run the last leg. Greg worked Monday through Saturday and earned another $100 gift card as well as overtime pay for 59.5 hours. I spent Monday doing laundry and other chores and picked him up at 4:30 pm. Starting to feel out of sorts, as my post last week showed! Well, I was coming down with what was probably a noro-virus, not unexpected given the fact that we are in contact with the same surfaces that thousands of other people touch each day at Amazon. I missed work on Tuesday.

Wednesday I crawled out of bed and dragged my sorry self into work. No work means no pay and since we are here for a short time I needed to just do it! Going to an office and sitting at a desk when you don't feel well is one thing. Walking 10-16 miles a day while you feel sick is not something I'd like to repeat! By Saturday I was pretty much back to the normal end of week Amazon exhaustion. So I earned no overtime this week, but at least got in my 40 hours.


On top of not feeling well, I had to work near the guy who was so rude to me last week. He apparently saw the error of his ways, and spent the week trying to avoid me, which was nearly impossible given that we were frequently working in the same area. I discovered that he is trying to advance himself at Amazon and now seems afraid that I will report him and cause a problem. I have no intention of reporting him, but I hope he learned his lesson. He will be very glad to see me go!


This week starts “Crush Week” at Amazon. We got robocalls from the plant manager thanking us for our hard work and reminding us to keep it up. There will be orange crush sodas served one day and opportunities to pick 200 items an hour to earn a vendor buck to use for a candy bar in the vending machines, and be in a drawing for a $25 gift card. Given the spread out “pick paths” we've had all week, I don't expect anyone we know will be able to qualify.


So, another 50 hour week for me starts tomorrow and Greg started his 59.5 hour week today while I grocery and Christmas shop. No word yet if we will be released early. If not we are still working next Tuesday and Wednesday in order to qualify for our $1 an hour bonus for all time served. We only get that if we last through the 23rd, or if they release us sooner. With Amazon breaking sales records this year, including our warehouse, no one knows if we might get out early.


When you hear from me next, this week will be in the bag and we'll either be finished or two days away from finished! Can't wait...

2 comments:

  1. very sad that they couldn't have got you into a group before your shifts and thanked you "in person"! Sounds like you guys need a well earned rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just learned today that the Jeffersonville warehouse will not use workcampers next year. They didn't seem too keen on having us there this year. Mickie, our HR person has been really good in looking out for the workcampers, but there has been very little contact with anyone else in management. We are a hard working bunch, but it hasn't been acknowledged. Oh, well, we are finished soon!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments encourage me to keep posting!